37th ANNUAL RAILROAD PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST
ENTRY DEADLINE SATURDAY, NOV. 7, 2020
Click here for a printable version of the official rules (PDF).
1. The contest is open to all amateur photographers, however, only National Railway Historical Society members of record as of Nov. 1, 2020, are eligible to win the “David M. See Best of Show” award. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, this year’s contest will be conducted online with digital entries.
2. All entries must be the work of the contestant.
3. Each entry will be accepted in one of the following 12 categories:
Contemporary Railroading (photos shot 2001 to present)
Contemporary Diesel Railroading - Color
Contemporary Diesel Railroading - Black &White
Contemporary Steam Railroading - Color
Contemporary Steam Railroading - Black & White
Contemporary Misc. Railroad Subjects - Color
Contemporary Misc. Railroad Subjects - Black & White
20th Century Railroading (photos shot before 2001)
20th Century Diesel Railroading - Color
20th Century Diesel Railroading - Black & White
20th Century Steam Railroading - Color
20th Century Steam Railroading - Black & White
20th Century Misc. Railroad Subjects - Color
20th Century Misc. Railroad Subjects - Black & White
A first place winner and one runner up will be named in each category. One eligible entry will receive the “David M. See Best of Show” award. One entry will receive the “Robert H. Sunderland People’s Choice” award. The People’s Choice award will be awarded based on online voting at www.gulfcoastnrhs.org/2020photos. Voting will be open Nov. 14 through Nov. 21.
4. Each contestant may submit up to three entries in each category. Go to www.gulfcoastnrhs.org/2020photos for entry information and instructions. Contestants must select the contest category upon submission of entries.
5. Only color (RGB) or black and white (grayscale) JPG images will be accepted. Images should have a minimum resolution of 150 dpi and a maximum size of 3,000 pixels on any side. We recommend that each image has the photographer’s name and a descriptive caption entered in the file’s metadata.
6. Entry deadline is Saturday, Nov. 7, 2020, at midnight. Entries will be accepted online at www.gulfcoastnrhs.org/2020photos or by other arrangement with Tom Marsh, telephone 281-468-3276 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Three judges will rate each entry on the basis of subject matter interest and appropriateness for chosen category; composition; and technical execution. In the event of a tie, a designated alternate judge will rescore the tied entries.
8. Awards will be announced on Saturday, Nov. 28.
9. By entering the contest, photographers agree that Gulf Coast Chapter - National Railway Historical Society, Inc. has the right to display all entries on the organization’s current and/or any future websites operated by the organization, and to print copies of all submitted images in the official publications of the organization. No compensation or other consideration will be given to photographers for such online display or publication of any submitted image. The photographer retains all other rights, commercial or otherwise.
10. Decisions of the judges are final.
How to Enter
Scroll down to see winning photos from previous contests.
To enter the contest, email your photos as attachments to:
In the body of your email, please include:
Your name and contact email address;We recommend that each image has the photographer’s name and a descriptive caption entered in the file’s metadata.
A brief description of each photo being submitted and the category in which each photo is to be judged (see the Official Rules).
Do not embed your images in the body of the email.
Maximum email size accepted is 25 MB; use multiple emails if necessary. Entries may be submitted in a zip file. Limit is three entries per category.
For questions or more information, email email@example.com.
Some Previous Contest Winners
Tom Mather - 2011 Best of Show
Eddie Kosar - 2012 Best of Show
Eddie Kosar - 2013 Best of Show
Fred Stigale - 2014 Best of Show
Fred Stigale - 2014 People's Choice
Jerry Dorcz - 2015 Best of Show
Phil Whitley - 2015 People's Choice
Jerry Dorcz - 2016 Best of Show
Mitch Burk - 2016 People's Choice
Fred Stigale - 2017 Best of Show
Eddie Kosar - 2017 People's Choice
Christine Stigal - 2018 Best of Show and People's Choice
Jerry Dorcz - 2019 Best of Show
Russell Straw - 2019 People's Choice
|Gulf Coast Chapter - National
Railway Historical Society, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational
organization incorporated under the laws of the State of Texas.
All content copyright © 2020 Gulf Coast Chapter - National Railway Historical Society, Inc. unless otherwise noted.